General Bridge Discussion > Interesting Play Hands

Love "all indications E has Heart guard" EDITED

<< < (3/3)

OliverC:
Ok, on your revised carding diagram, you don't really have any clear idea where the J !H lies. The only reasonable conclusion you have to date is that East started with !C QJxxx (and a singleton Spade). That being the case, you just have to go with your gut instinct at trick 10 as to whether you go for the Double Squeeze (ie: play West for the J!H and use Diamonds as the pivot suit), or go for the automatic squeeze against East, playing them for the J !H and Club length.

Personally, East's discards at tricks 7-9 have persuaded me to take  them for 5-5 in the round suits, so I'm cashing the last Spade and then crossing to the A!D to put East under pressure. If East is canny enough to sacrifice their Hearts, knopwing Partner's Jack is still covering the suit, then they also potentially canny enough to conceal the Jack from KQJ73.

I still think your mooted possibility of East starting with !H KQx is a red herring, because they've already played the KQ73 in the suit by trick 6.

kiwi_2o1:
Oliver, YEP, real bad typos on my part. In the published hand East did in fact only have kqx.

Correct suits in attached pbn. My many entry errors ruined the hand more than just a bit. Trying to cover two different scenarios made the entry too problem-some for me. The actual 'red herrings', ....  alternative plays could've come later.

If the play instead reveals East has the hearts then squeeze fails if 9C run around to South.

I wonder if anyone else in our group wants to study or practice squeezes? I know Marty started some time ago. I don't mean me teaching them as I'm learning them my-self and many are a mystery to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version