General Bridge Discussion > Interesting Play Hands

Love "all indications E has Heart guard" EDITED

<< < (2/3) > >>

OliverC:
The initial Lead of the 9 !C is suggestive that West doesn't have either of the Club honours and is probably shorter in Clubs than East. The Hearts we've already discussed earlier. Given that, the absolutely critical thing is to retain Dummy's Ace in the Diamond suit, because that provides the entry to Dummy at trick 11. Declarer runs all of the Spades and comes down to

!S -
 !H 10
 !D A
 !C 10

!S -
 !H -
 !D Q
 !C K7

On the assumption that East started with something like
 !S x
 !H KQxxx
 !D ??
 !C QJxxx

...they are now left with
 !S -
 !H K
 !D -
 !C QJ

They have to give up when Declarer now crosses to the A !D , because they can't come down to 2 cards without abandoning the Hearts or the Clubs. It's an automatic squeeze and so works equally well against either defender who has that holding, but all of the indications are that East has it.

kiwi_2o1:
Good thinking. I over-looked that no declarer would play his QH in that manner with out a supporting honour.

And unfortunately I mucked up the recording play of cards, so this happens at the table. Note north opened 1C or 1D and no overcall from East.

OliverC:
LOL, struggling to cope mentally with you continually moving the goalposts here: East has already shown up with !H KQ73, I think, if I've followed your somewhat unintuitive play diagram correctly (East played the Q !H under the Ace, the 7 !H on the next !H trick, discarded the 3 !H on the second Spade trick and then played the King on the 3rd round of Hearts.

Admittedly, if East did start off with KQ73 exactly, they know that Partner started with Jxxx after the 2nd round of the suit (when South ruffs), so there's no problem for them to discard the 3 !H, because they know Partner will still have the suit covered, so the location of the Jack is not now so certain.

What's the point of my trying to cope with !H KQ7 with East, or !H KJ??? with West, when I know by trick six that neither of those two situations can possibly apply? In fact I can be fairly sure by trick 4 than the second of those doesn't apply (No way East is going to pop up with the Queen in those circumstances).

kiwi_2o1:
yes it would have been much easier if I had entered correctly

what would be a better way to display tricks as played?

I've edited the rounds a little that might make play easier. Lead in bold:

USE THIS SEQUENCE OF PLAYS

North
!S AK
!H T954
!D A864
!C AT3

South
!S QJT87632
!H A
!D Q
!C K74             Plan you play in CL's 6S.

1.  !C 9 AC 2C 4C
2.  !H 4 QH AH 6H                                         

3.  !S 2 4S AS 5S
4.  !H 5 7H QS 8H             
5.  !S 3 9S KS 2D 
6.  !H 9  KH 6S 7H                ... having some trouble in getting edits to stick because my typing is a mess.             
7.  !S J 2D 4D 8C
8.  !S T 5C 6D 3D
9.  !S 8 5D 3C TD

now I'll enter and save hand in Jack and load pbn.
Done.   ... double checked attacked file, I'm sure its OK.

kiwi_2o1:

--- Quote from: OliverC on June 19, 2017, 11:29:53 PM ---LOL, struggling to cope mentally with you continually moving the goalposts here: East has already shown up with !H KQ73, I think, if I've followed your somewhat unintuitive play diagram correctly (East played the Q !H under the Ace, the 7 !H on the next !H trick, discarded the 3 !H on the second Spade trick and then played the King on the 3rd round of Hearts.

Admittedly, if East did start off with KQ73 exactly, they know that Partner started with Jxxx after the 2nd round of the suit (when South ruffs), so there's no problem for them to discard the 3 !H, because they know Partner will still have the suit covered, so the location of the Jack is not now so certain.

Yes and my reply in .

East in fact has !H KQx, so the 10H is not a threat to him. Her play of QH was normal.

Blast, yet another error in my recall of hands  ...

'2H' discarded by East was meant to be 2C. Typo. Blast.

So East has just KQx, not the JH.

What's the point of my trying to cope with !H KQ7 with East, or !H KJ??? with West, when I know by trick six that neither of those two situations can possibly apply? In fact I can be fairly sure by trick 4 than the second of those doesn't apply (No way East is going to pop up with the Queen in those circumstances).

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version