Positive Response               !S xx      !H KQJxx  !D xx       !C KJxx

Hand 1     !S AKxx  !H xx       !D KQxx   !C Axx 

Hand 2     !S AKxx  !H xx       !D AQJx   !C Q10x

Hand 3     !S Kxxx   !H xx       !D AQJx   !C AQx 

Hand 4     !S Axxx   !H xx       !D AKQx    !C Axx

Hand 5     !S AKx    !H xx        !D AKJx   !C Q987 

Hand 6     !S xxx    !H Ax        !D AKQx   !C Axxx 

brian_m:

--- Quote from: OliverC on April 28, 2019, 09:18:50 PM ---LOLOL ...I was just going to say, you cannot have a "tentative" game force. A bid is either game-forcing or it isn't. A positive response to 1 !C, playing OCP or Precision, is 1,000,000% game-forcing!!!! A bid cannot be 50.0001% GF :).

--- End quote ---

To be fair to Jim (hey, someone has to be!  ;) ) I've seen the term 'conditional game force' used before in books to describe a sequence that is GF or not based on some aspect of the other hand. An OCP example would be

1NT-2 !D-2 !H-2 !S

Personally I would describe 2 !S as "GF unless opener is an absolute minimum" or "GF unless opener rebids 2NT" but I would have no problems in seeing it described as a "conditional game force".

Tentative game forces, however, I've not met up with before.  ::)

Jimmy:
Sh-t,  told you my grammar and expression was lacking.   8)

I know the  condition of game force was established.  And in fairness, have you's ever stopped short of 3NT and/or 5m?

brian_m:

--- Quote from: Jimmy on April 28, 2019, 10:57:20 PM ---Sh-t,  told you my grammar and expression was lacking.   8)

I know the  condition of game force was established.  And in fairness, have you's ever stopped short of 3NT and/or 5m?

--- End quote ---

Playing my old Precision system, yes, but we had one sequence where opener specifically showed a misfitting but otherwise flat 16 count, and responder was allowed to pass with exactly 8 HCP.

Playing OCP, or any other version of Precision without that escape sequence? No, never. You accept the occasional hand with 16 opposite 8 where no game can be made as the cost of making life a lot simpler on the vast majority of the other hands.

Jimmy:

--- Quote from: brian_m on April 29, 2019, 12:04:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: Jimmy on April 28, 2019, 10:57:20 PM ---Sh-t,  told you my grammar and expression was lacking.   8)

--- End quote ---

Playing my old Precision system, yes, but we had one sequence where opener specifically showed a misfitting but otherwise flat 16 count, and responder was allowed to pass with exactly 8 HCP.

Playing OCP, or any other version of Precision without that escape sequence? No, never. You accept the occasional hand with 16 opposite 8 where no game can be made as the cost of making life a lot simpler on the vast majority of the other hands.

--- End quote ---

I can handle that answer.    :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version