Author Topic: Trusting Partner  (Read 2518 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Trusting Partner
« on: July 10, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
Defending can be tough at the best of times, but trusting your Partner is a crucial part of successful defence and you make life much harder for you and Partner if you don't. Counting the hand as best you can is also a critical facet of defence.

This was an interesting hand I played with Brian this morning.

Opps have bid to 2 !S via the following auction (You are South):

West         North       East        South
                                 No            No
1 !S           No            1NT          2 !D
2 !S           All Pass

Partner leads the 8 !D and you can see

East
                            !S A
                            !H Q10
                            !D 10543
                            !C Q109532

South
 !S Q97
 !H K43
 !D AJ9762
 !C 4

You rise with the Ace of Diamonds and Declarer contributes the Queen. How do you plan the defence?

Clearly Partner started with a singleton Diamond, so there's a Diamond ruff available. Your Queen of Spades will also be a trick. A Club lead from you at trick 2 is potentially attractive: You might be able to engineer a Club ruff, but the likelyhood is that you would be ruffing with your natural trump trick, so a Club ruff is only good if you can get two Club ruffs (ie: you're looking for Partner to have something like !C Axx. Kxx in Partner's hand doesn't work as well, because Partner will only be able to give you 1 Club ruff after taking their King of Clubs unless Declarer ducks from Axx).

Another problem with that idea is that that would mean Partner probably has at least 6-card Hearts and since clearly there are a fair number of points "missing" on this auction, the likelyhood is that you and Partner have missed a decent Heart contract (If Declarer has 6+ Spades, 2 Diamonds and 3 Clubs, they can only have 2 Hearts at most). It's perhaps unlikely that Partner would stay silent over 1 !S with a 6-card Heart suit and a fair number of points (as it turns out Partner has the best hand at the table)

Similarly, going for Diamond ruffs in Partner's hand is also attractive, because a third Diamond through Declarer's hand might promote a trump in Partner's hand, and you can always suggest a Club back by leading the 2 !D at trick 2.

Be that as it may, you decide to go for the 2 Club ruffs in your hand and lead your singleton Club at trick 2. Declarer plays the Jack and Partner wins the King. After a little thought, Partner continues with the 5 !H and your King wins the trick.

What is going on? This is one of the places where "trusting your partner" comes into play. You know Partner can see the 2 and 3 of Clubs in Dummy and you led the 4, so your Club lead was a singleton or from Hxx(x). Clearly Partner has underled his Ace of Hearts (Dummy played the 10 on the previous trick so there's no way Declarer has ducked holding the Ace). It's obvious, therefore, that (1) Partner is desperate for their Diamond ruff and (2) they have determined that giving you a Club ruff is not possible. How can that be? The only explanation is that they have all of the Clubs and know that Declarer's Jack of Clubs was a singleton. You give partner their Diamond ruff. They cash the Ace of Hearts and exit with a Spade to Declarer's Ace. The 3 !C is now led from Dummy. What do you do?

You and Partner have already taken 5 tricks. At this stage you have to trust that Partner has not given you a Club ruff for a reason and that reason can only be that they started with something like !S xxx, !H Axxx, !D x, !C AKxxx. That would give Declarer !S KJ10xxx, !H Jxxx, !D KQ, !C J, a thin Opener, to be sure, but the play is totally consistent with that. All you have to do is to play a Diamond here, Declarer is forced to ruff and you can sit back a wait for your Spade trick.

At the table, Brian decided to go for his Club ruff and ruffed in with the 9. Declarer  overruffed, cashed the King of Spades, dropping your Queen and Partner's Jack simultaneously and was only -1 because they had to give a trick up to Partner's 9 !H at the end. If you had given Partner their !D ruff at trick 2, however, the defence can take 8 tricks in all (A !D , !D ruff, A !H , K !H , !D ruff, !S to Dummy's Ace, and you still have a top Club, the Queen of Spades and 9 !H to come), which would have been +1½ IMPs rather than -1 IMP.

(To be fair to Brian, it was 4:30am his time so he was running on vapour and with distractions at home, so I am not being critical of him here. I couldn't perform at all at 4:30am!! :) ). As I said at the top, defence is difficult at the best of times, but hopefully the above will show how you need to trust that Partner sometimes "knows" better than you do (not because they're a better player, but because they might have a better view of the critical aspects of the hand) and is worthy of your trust until proved otherwise. Also you need to try to reconcile your "image" of the hand with what you already know from the bidding and, as here, with the implications of any possible image. If, for example, North had started with !C Axx here, then they must have 6+ Hearts (if Declarer has 6+ Spades) and it's very unlikely that they would stay silent over 1 !S , so that possible image of the hand has to be discarded when your defensive plan for the hand is made. If Partner has 4-card Clubs, then you are only ever getting one Club ruff and that's no good to you, since you've an inevitable trump trick anyway, so it's simply not worth playing for any Club ruffs.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:04:51 AM by OliverC »
Oliver

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
Re: Trusting Partner
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »
I can't resist adding the observation that trusting your partner also includes NOT playing for him to have misbid, at least not until you can prove the misbid with near-absolute certainty! Just because pard comes up with an unusual sequence is no excuse for not working out whether there's a set of hands which would fit it.  ;)

As a more general point, which may be useful to some of our newer members, when you are playing a system as structured as OCP, it's extremely difficult, often impossible, to recover from a misbid. If you do realise that you've misbid, your best course of action is to pass as soon as it's reasonable for you to do so, and hope that opponents are as confused as your partner will undoubtedly be. You are NOT under any ethical obligation to inform your opponents if you have misbid, although if you're playing a tournament, then you'll have to be able to present reasonable evidence that it was a misbid - a (competent!) TD will assume mistaken explanation rather than mistaken bid without some fairly compelling evidence to the contrary. Under those circumstances, a private message to the opps may be your best option.

Brian.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:53:12 AM by brian_m »
Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!