Teaching Sessions & Practices on BBO > Bidding Challenges

Importance of Hand Evaluation

(1/2) > >>

Jimmy:
Had this hand in a tournament yesterday.  You are East,  the dealer and no one is  Vul.  Do you Pass,  Open 1  !H, 2 !H or 1 !C?  And Why? 

East
 !S
 !H Q109532
 !D AQ10953
 !C 3

Once you decide on what you would do, scroll down for the complete hand. 

Now,  here is the complete deal. 

North
                                      !S AQJ1063
                                      !H J874
                                      !D 8
                                      !C 105

West                                                        East
 !S 875                                                       !S
 !H AK6                                                      !H Q109532
 !D KJ2                                                       !D AQ10953
 !C K762                                                     !C 3

South
                                       !S K942
                                       !H
                                       !D 764
                                       !C AQJ984

I chose to pass because the hand seemed to strong to open 2 !H, seemed to weak to open 1 !H (9HCP & fragmented suits), and to my regret did not even consider opening 1 !C (playing strength).  We ended up in 5 !H making 6.  The hand is difficult to bid after a pass or 2 !H opening.  Rather easy to bid with a 1 !H or 1 !C opening.  Of the 26 teams that played the hand 9 teams ended up in 6 !H.  Appreciate other comments from this seasoned crew.... ;)

OliverC:
Personally, I think I open this hand 1 !H. 0661 hands have an inherent playing strength, and the hand is far far too good to open with 2 !H and also doesn't really have remotely enough defensive strength to consider a 1 !C Opening (for my money, anyway).

Playing OCP, a 1 !H opening would probably lead to a sequence similar to

1 !H                       -      1NT
3 !D(Max, 5-5+)     -     3 !S(Gamma in !H)
4 !H(Hxxxxx in !H)  -    4 !S(Relay Beta)
4NT(0-2 Controls!)  -    5 !H(To Play)
5 !S(Void !S)           -   6 !H(Really really to play!)
All Pass

Even if the bidding starts 1 !H - 1NT - 2 !D - 4 !H, I'd think East would be bidding 4 !S over that, or maybe just punting 6 !D as "choose a Slam".

For the 2 !H bidders:

2 !H                            - 2 !S(Enquiry)
4 !D(Max, second suit) - 4 !H(To Play)
4 !S(void)                   - 5 !H(to Play)
Pass

Realistically, it's impossible for either player to appreciate they're playing with a 20-point deck. East can never really show the 5th or 6th Diamond unless they just punt 6 !D over 4 !H.

Interesting hand!

brian_m:

--- Quote from: Jimmy on September 10, 2017, 09:29:02 PM ---                                     North
                                      !S AQJ1063
                                      !H J874
                                      !D 8
                                      !C 105

West                                                        East
 !S 875                                                       !S
 !H AK6                                                      !H Q109532
 !D KJ2                                                       !D AQ10953
 !C K762                                                     !C 3

South
                                       !S K942
                                       !H
                                       !D 764
                                       !C AQJ984

I chose to pass because the hand seemed to strong to open 2 !H, seemed to weak to open 1 !H (9HCP & fragmented suits), and to my regret did not even consider opening 1 !C (playing strength).  We ended up in 5 !H making 6.  The hand is difficult to bid after a pass or 2 !H opening.  Rather easy to bid with a 1 !H or 1 !C opening.  Of the 26 teams that played the hand 9 teams ended up in 6 !H.  Appreciate other comments from this seasoned crew.... ;)

--- End quote ---

As a matter of principle, I've always refused to believe that there's a gap between a 1 !H and a 2 !H opener. Given that, my choice is easy. 1 !H it is, and then bid  !D until the cows come home (or partner gives preference back to  !H). I expect competition in  !S so I want to get started on my suits, 1 !C isn't an option IMO.

Jimmy:
As a matter of principle, I've always refused to believe that there's a gap between a 1 !H and a 2 !H opener. Given that, my choice is easy. 1 !H it is,

GREAT gap adjustment,  like it.   :)

Jimmy:

--- Quote from: OliverC on September 10, 2017, 09:58:29 PM ---Personally, I think I open this hand 1 !H. 0661 hands have an inherent playing strength, and the hand is far far too good to open with 2 !H and also doesn't really have remotely enough defensive strength to consider a 1 !C Opening (for my money, anyway).

Playing OCP, a 1 !H opening would probably lead to a sequence similar to

1 !H                       -      1NT
3 !D(Max, 5-5+)     -     3 !S(Gamma in !H)
4 !H(Hxxxxx in !H)  -    4 !S(Relay Beta)
4NT(0-2 Controls!)  -    5 !H(To Play)
5 !S(Void !S)           -   6 !H(Really really to play!)
All Pass

Even if the bidding starts 1 !H - 1NT - 2 !D - 4 !H, I'd think East would be bidding 4 !S over that, or maybe just punting 6 !D as "choose a Slam".

For the 2 !H bidders:

2 !H                            - 2 !S(Enquiry)
4 !D(Max, second suit) - 4 !H(To Play)
4 !S(void)                   - 5 !H(to Play)
Pass

Realistically, it's impossible for either player to appreciate they're playing with a 20-point deck. East can never really show the 5th or 6th Diamond unless they just punt 6 !D over 4 !H.

Interesting hand!

--- End quote ---

Yes,  very interesting.  Three of the 26 N/S teams bid to 5 !S Doubled making 5 and not sure how many others may have pushed the nine E/W's into the 6 !H contract.  Our Opp only interfered to the 4 level.  If I would have opened 1 !H, I think we would have also gotten to the slam, but very difficult for my partner to participate once I passed first seat (and would have been difficult if I bid 2 !H).  It was a very good lesson on hand evaluation (for me).   Way to much St Am and Goren years ago.   :'( 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version