Author Topic: Oliver's Big Mistake  (Read 2671 times)

Offline RogerPfi

• Piggy
    • View Profile
Oliver's Big Mistake
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
Oliver's Big Mistake

OK I fully admit that the title is just click-bait.   But Oliver was sitting South and DID play the wrong card.

As you will see it is hardly possible to find the correct card even double dummy.

However it is an amazing little  squeeze / throw-in / avoidance   -  you name it.   :)

FYI - Neither of 2 subsequent "best play by both sides" continuations that are given were actually played.

Please download and play the attached lin file.

--
Roger

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Re: Oliver's Big Mistake
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:45:54 PM »
LOL. Roger, in case you hadn't noticed, I often bid or play wrong. :)

Having said that, I think I'd require X-ray specs  or a Romany mother to diagnose the difference between the 2 and 4 of Diamonds at trick 2 in that contract. More critical, perhaps, is my play of the !H 5 rather than the Queen later in the play, but I hadn't realised that Eszter was going to chuck almost all of her Hearts and keep the useless Spades even though there was demonstrably no way Declarer could ever get back to hand to enjoy the said Spades :) (He'd used up both Club entries in order to lead towards the Diamonds twice). If I lead the Queen of Hearts first it's too easy for him to duck. I was hoping Declarer would play me for !H QJx and duck the trick to North's Jack.
Oliver