General Bridge Discussion > Interesting Play Hands

A great asking bid example hand

<< < (3/3)

brian_m:

--- Quote from: Jimmy on August 27, 2018, 05:50:33 PM --- :blank:

Are we awake yet?  ;) Thanks for the quick and direct response.   

In essence,  I whole-heartedly agree with your approach to identifying the singleton K.   Thought your example hand for responder would be improved if it contained the following:

If I have

!S QJxxx
 !H AQxxxx     (changing the KQxxxx to AQxxxx, since opener had the singleton K)
 !D void
 !C AQ

--- End quote ---

I didn't mean the two hands to be related - the hand immediately above was just a random example.

--- Quote from: Jimmy on August 27, 2018, 05:50:33 PM ---

that would have the two hands being:

!S AKxxxx                     QJxxx
 !H K                            AQxxxx
 !D AJ10x                      void
 !C xx                           AQ

Now,  it was probably late when I responded and a little tired.  I was looking at the quidelines for using FNT  (shown below)

Forcing 1NT Response
In response to an Opening Bid of 1♠ (or 1♥), 1NT is an artificial 1-round force following which both partners in turn clarify their hand-types. The kinds of hand that generally use a Forcing No Trump are as follows:

1.  Balanced hands with 8+ hcp and Spade Support
  2.  Balanced hands with 12+ hcp but no 'good' support for Spades
  3. 16+ hands with (or without) Spade support
      A weak hand with no tolerance for Spades and a long (6+-card) suit elsewhere.
  4.  (Note: This hand type can only be shown via the Forcing No Trump if Asking Bids are not being used, or when Responder is a
       passed hand)

Unfortunately,  I used the term balanced hand.  What I meant to infer is that since options 1,2,&4 do not apply (in this example), then option 3 is when responder is going to be the "asker" and it would be important to know all the controls.   

Thanks for tolerating my inexperience using this system. 

That aside, if I were to find a partner to play this system and could find to time to learn it, I think I would show the singleton K

Question:  Can you think of an example where responder has option 1 or 2 and would still activate a Beta Ask?

--- End quote ---

I think it's possible. If responder has a maximum of type 2, bids 1NTF and then hears opener jump shift, showing a maximum with at least 5-5 in two suits, then I can certainly see beta being used if responder has a good fit for the second suit. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version