Author Topic: Two Endplays  (Read 3237 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Two Endplays
« on: September 11, 2017, 06:29:52 PM »
Had an interesting session with Eszter today. She found a nice endplay for an additional overtrick on this hand:

Love All, Dealer West

South (Dummy)
!S 75
!H K1084
!D AKJ62
!C AK

North
!S AKJ2
!H Q2
!D 1097
!C J732

Bidding
West     North     East     South
No         1NT(1)    No        2NT(2)
No         3 !D        No        3 !H(3)
X           3NT        All Pass

(1) Transfer to Diamonds
(2) Game-forcing, 2nd suit

East duly led the !H 6 against 3NT, which was allowed to run round to Declarer's Queen, West inserting the 5. Eszter started on the Diamonds straight away, running the 10, which held. On the 9, West showed out and discarded a small Club, and on the run of the rest of the Diamonds West discarded a Club, the !H 7 and the !S 3. On the last Diamond, East discarded the !C 10.

Eszter now cashed the Ace and King of Clubs (West followed low and East played the !C 9 and then the !S 4. Now the AK of Spades, West contributing the 10 and then discarding the !H 9. West now now marked with a 5-5 in Clubs and Hearts and was clearly down to the !C Queen, so Eszter exited with the !C 7, forcing West to lead away from the AJ of Hearts.

Nice Work!!!!

Another opportunity for an endplay had fallen to me on the previous hand:

Game All, Dealer South

North (Dummy)
!S Q94
!H KQ94
!D A742
!C 102

South
!S A52
!H AJ865
!D Q3
!C 653

Bidding
South     West     North     East
1 !H         X           2 !C(1)   No
2 !D         No         3 !H(2)   All Pass

(1) Transfer to Diamonds (MOTOR)
(2) 3-level limit raise with a control feature in Diamonds (shortage or suit)

I did consider bidding 4 !H because of my useful partial fit in Diamonds (it didn't seem likely that Eszter had a !D shortage), but in the end my minimum values and semi-balanced shape persuaded me otherwise.

West, who was marked with most of the outstanding HCP, led the Spade 7. I rose with Dummy's Queen, which held. I led the Heart King, on which West showed out, discarding a small Diamond, so I switched to the Club 2. East onw this trick with the 7 and led another Heart, which ran round to Dummy's 9. Another Club, won by East's Queen, and a 3rd round of Hearts, which I won with the 8 in my hand a ruffed a Club with Dummy's last trump. On the 3 Heart tricks, West had discarded 2 Diamonds and a Spade and followed to all 3 Club tricks with the 4, 8 and Jack.

I now led a Spade to my Ace (East played low) and West played the 10. The Ace and Jack of Hearts followed, on which West played the !C King and then the !D 9 and East the !H 10 and then the !C Ace.

At this stage I'd won 8 tricks, and the position was now

North (Dummy)
!S -
!H -
!D A74
!C -

South
!S 5
!H -
!D Q3
!C -

East has shown up with the !C AQ which pretty much means that West had to have everything else to justify their Double of 1 !H. I could be fairly certain that West was left with the !S K and !D Kx (which was, in fact, the case). If I was in 4 !H, I would have endplayed West for sure, but needing only the Ace of Diamonds I didn't bother.

In practice I am always cold for 9 tricks even if I try the endplay and it doesn't work, since there were only 2 Spades left (K and J) so even if one defender has both, they still have to give me a Diamond trick at the end, as all of the Clubs and Hearts have been played. I might as well have tried the endplay that I knew was working, therefore - silly me!
Oliver

Offline RogerPfi

• Piggy
    • View Profile
Plea for attaching the lin files
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
Dear Oliver

Please could you attach the BBO lin files to your wonderful posts.  :)

Makes them much easier to follow so much more enjoyable.

I have attached the two lin files that match your post - 2 End plays

See the attached lin files.

--
Roger

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Re: Two Endplays
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »
Roger it's quite a lot of fiddly work to do that, which is why I tend not to. As I use the Windows BBO Client, my system saves a whole clump of hands in one LIN file, so I now have to edit that file, find the hand in question and extract it, and then create a new LIN file.

If I feel the hand needs Opps' hands shown I tend to put them into my post anyway, but it's easy enough for people to look the hand up on MyHands otherwise.
Oliver

Offline RogerPfi

• Piggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
Roger it's quite a lot of fiddly work to do that...

No - not at all these days it is v. simple. 

In Chrome :)  in your MyHands just click the lin file link(s) and it will download.

(Of course - You can now see the download file(s) in the Chrome window lower left)

In the post click  -  Attachments and other options   and for each file

Click  -  Choose file

It does not matter where it opens you can Drag and Drop each of the Chrome files  FROM bottom of the CHROME window into the attachment window and select it.

Honestly it will only take seconds - no fiddling, no editing.

(see the two lin files attached to this post)

Why the lin files are needed

It's not the opps cards that matter.

The rest of us need to follow the play - it's just too hard, too exhausting for most of us.

You for forget how skillful you are.   The rest of us need all the help we can get.  :)

The hands soon expire from MyHands - so it's capture them when you write or they will be gone.  :(

Final Appeal
This sub forum is a great outlet for your Bridge writing.   As an author surely you want as many people as possible to be able to follow what you say and not just read it ?

--
Roger

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 08:09:34 AM »
Ahhhh. Didn't know you could drag and drop into here. I always look at the Movies rather than the LIN files in MyHands so I'd not clocked it was presented asa download and you could then drag ad drop from that straight into a post.

I shall give it a try
Oliver