Author Topic: Trump Decision  (Read 2732 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Trump Decision
« on: September 02, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »
Most hands have hidden pitfalls. Sometimes you need to visualise how you want the hand to end near the beginning of the play and plan the play accordingly. This simple enough hand was a case in point. You are North.

Love All, Dealer West

Bidding (Opposition silent)
North           South
1 !C              1 !D
2NT(22-23)   3 !D
3 !H              3NT
4 !H              All Pass

South (Dummy)
 !S 1096
 !H Q9875
 !D Q54
 !C 93

North
!S AQ3
!H AJ104
!D AK63
!C KJ

This hand looks innocent enough. You get a helpful lead of a small Club from East. West takes the Ace and returns a Club to your King. How do you plan the play?

If Diamonds are 3-3 you're always okay, because a losing Spade will go away on the long Diamond. It's more likely that the Diamonds willnot be 3-3, however, and if the !H King and !S KJ are all with East, you have 4 potential losers on this hand. That is what you need to plan for.

The idea should be to draw trumps in however many rounds, eliminate the Diamonds by taking 3 top Diamonds and ruffing the 4th in Dummy if necessary, and then run the 10 !S . If East wins, they will be endplayed to give you a ruff and discard or lead a Spade back into your AQ.

You do not, therefore, have the luxury of playing Ace and another Heart to draw trumps quickly, because if West has the King it gives them an early opportunity to lead a Spade through your hand before you've eliminated the Diamonds. Keeping West away from the lead is a crucial ingredient of our plan.

A Diamond to the Queen and then running one of Dummy's higher Hearts (remaining in Dummy if West doesn't cover, of course) should be the plan. If East wins, all they can do is to play another Heart or a Diamond, and we can revert to our original plan. If West has the Heart King, we draw trumps in however many rounds, eliminate the Diamonds and then endplay East in Spades for the overtrick.

On this hand West did indeed have the !H King, and East did have !S KJx. Eszter played Ace and another Heart and West duly switched to a Spade. Eszter came out okay, because the Diamonds were 3-3 and a losing Spade went away on the 4th Diamond.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:04:05 PM by OliverC »
Oliver

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Decision
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
It might help a little if you told us our own hand.  ;D

Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
You really think so? Oh alright! LOL. Original post corrected :)

I'm 62, Brian. I'm allowed an occasional senior moment :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:04:50 PM by OliverC »
Oliver

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:17:40 PM »

I'm 62, Brian. I'm allowed an occasional senior moment :)

I know! I'm allowed to call you an old fart for another two weeks yet.  ;D

Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!