Author Topic: Finding the Right Switch  (Read 1907 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Finding the Right Switch
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
This was an informative hand that Eszter and I played today. Defence is never easy, but it really helps if you take note of every card that's played and try to work things out from there: On this hand you are North. West opened a 2nd-in-hand 1NT and everyone passed. You are looking at

North
!S A63
!H J943
!D 97
!C AQJ7

You choose to lead the !C Queen (I think that would probably have been the last card in my hand I would have chosen, but that's not the issue here). Dummy goes down:

East (Dummy)
!S K542
!H 108
!D J632
!C 543

North
                 !S A63
                 !H J943
                 !D 97
                 !C AQJ7

On trick 1 everyone ducks and Partner plays the encouraging !C 9. You continue with the 7, which runs to Partner's 10 and Declarer's King (ooops). Declarer now leads the !S 10 (You play low) and overtakes with Dummy's King and leads the Diamond Jack off the table. Partner rises up with the Ace and leads a 3rd round of Clubs. Declarer follows with the 8 and you take your two Club tricks. On the last Club Dummy sheds the !D 2, Partner the Heart 6 and Declarer the !H 2.

Now what?

East (Dummy)
!S 542
!H 108
!D 53
!C -

North
                 !S A6
                 !H J943
                 !D 7
                 !C -

You've taken 4 tricks at this stage and Declarer only two. Partner's !H 6 is not encouraging a Heart switch, but it's difficult to read it as a clear suit preference signal for either Spades or Diamonds.

The play at trick 2 was a little curious: Partner's !S 9 is clearly suggesting an even number of Spades, but if Declarer has 4-card Spades including the QJ10, leading the 10 and overtaking with the King solely to get to Dummy in order to lead the Jack of Diamonds would be a curious play. Clearly the Diamond suit is important to Declarer and it sounds like Declarer was missing the Ace and the Queen, which Partner must have, so a Diamond switch should clearly be right off the menu. The choice, then, should be one of the Majors.

In practice it Doesn't matter which Major you choose. The main thing is not to lead a Diamond. The full hand:

South
                 !S J987
                 !H Q76
                 !D AQ8
                 !C 1096
East (Dummy)             West
!S K542                           !S Q10
!H 108                             !H AK52
!D J632                            !D K1064
!C 543                             !C K82
                 North
                 !S A63
                 !H J943
                 !D 97
                 !C AQJ7

Clearly Declarer would have done better to lead a small Diamond from hand at trick 3 rather than touching the Spades, but if you play the Ace of Spades at trick 7, the Queen falls and Partner takes 2 more Spades and then switches back to a Heart. If you lead a Heart, then Declarer has to put Partner in with the !D Queen at some point and Partner (me) definitely would have switched back to Spades (I nearly switched to Spades at trick 4 rather than continuing Clubs, because I was suspicious of the !S 10 at trick 3 when Partner played the 3).

At the table Eszter led a Diamond and Declarer was easily able to wrap up 3 Diamonds to add to the Spade, Club and 2 Hearts. Maybe I should have encouraged Hearts with the 7 rather than playing the ambiguous !H 6 on Eszter's last Club (and riasking a Diamond from Eszter), but I can't afford to play either a Spade or a Diamond and I really want a Spade rather than anything else whether Declarer started with !S Q10 or !S A10, so I felt I had to hope Eszter could read the !H 6 and would realise that I had almost certainly started with !D AQx and Declarer with !D K10xx, because nothing else would explain using up Dummy's only possible entry just to lead the Jack of Diamonds.

Ho Hum...
Oliver