Author Topic: Preposterous Contracts!  (Read 2586 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Preposterous Contracts!
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »
Sometimes, even with OCP, you hit a sequence which might be ambiguous with a significant affect on the subsequent bidding. Imagine you are South (North was Eszter)

South
 !S AK
 !H Q
 !D KQ987643
 !C Q9

After some reflection you decide on a 1 !D Opening rather than 1 !C (and yes, I did give 1 !C some serious thought) and with no opposition bidding, the bidding proceeds

1 !D - 1 !H
3 !D - 4 !C (1)
4 !D (2) - 5 !D
??

(1) Does Partner think this is Beta? It is ambiguous, but I think it ought to be natural rather than Beta, hence my bid of 4 !D .
(2) Does Partner think this is showing 0-2 Controls or just saying I have a huge Diamond suit and no support for Hearts or Clubs? Is their subsequent 5 !D a sign-off, disappointed with my apparent lack of controls?

I tanked for quite a while while I considered my options here. In the end I decided (especially given that Eszter often tends to be in the wimpish side of aggressive) that I would rather be hung for going off in 6 than playing a cold 6 in a mere game, and bid 6 !D .

West (my hero) led the 2 !D and Eszter put down

North
 !S 93
 !H AK652
 !D 10
 !C K7532

South
 !S AK
 !H Q
 !D KQ987643
 !C Q9

East won the Ace of Diamonds and returned the Jack of Spades. I won, and cashed 2 more Diamonds, discarding 2 small Clubs from Dummy, West discarding a Spade and a Club. Now what?

Yes, you could just concede a Club to West's Ace [it's fairly clear they probably have that, because if East had had it, it might have been impossible for them to resist (a) Doubling and (b) trying to cash the A !C at trick 2]. You can see that with East having started with !D AJx, unless you were prepared  to run the 10 !D on the first round of the suit, even 5 !D is normally not going to be making, so you're only going -1 in 6 !D , when 5 !D -1 is probably the "normal" result. I decided to play my luck, though:

If West had 5-card Hearts and the Ace of Clubs, I can squeeze him out of his Heart trick. Also, the fact that Opps don't know I only have 2 Spades might put additional pressure on them.

I therefore  cashed the King of Spades and then ran all of my Diamonds, throwing 2 Hearts from Dummy and then all of Dummy's remaining Clubs. Opps both discarded 2 Hearts on the first 4 of those 5 Diamonds, and, amazingly, both discarded Hearts on the last Diamond, which meant that 6 of the 7 outstanding Hearts had now been chucked. I was now down to !H AK6 opposite !H Q, !C Q9, and took the last 3 tricks in Dummy for 15 IMPs.

6 Pairs were going off in 5 !D , and almost all of the rest were in making Diamond part-scores. One Pair had made 5 !D on the lead of the 2 !D by West but that was the only other pair making a game, let alone a slam.

Lucky? Yes, insanely lucky, but...

After trick 2, you might as well play as I did. If the worst comes to the worst and Opps keep all of their Hearts, one of your Club losers will disappear on the  K !H so you will still come to the same 11 tricks that the opening lead has gifted you. You might as well play for a mistake from Opps. My possible squeeze position never materialised, but the secondary position did, in that West felt he had to keep hold of the Q !S and A10 !C , and East felt he had to hand onto the 108 !S , which meant that neither of them could hold onto 3 Hearts and were presumably hoping that I was void in Hearts and had no hope of reaching Dummy's AK6.

:)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:10:50 PM by OliverC »
Oliver

Offline lute57

• Hog
    • View Profile
Re: Preposterous Contracts!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 02:11:30 AM »
Good lesson on not giving up. Also, hope you go to church twice tomorrow - someone is certainly looking over you.

I would take 4 !C as NOT being a High Beta with the reasoning that if Responder had a slammish hand they would be going through either an Alpha sequence [with a strong slammish hand and a 5-card suit] or a 1 !D-2NT sequence [with a strong balanced hand].

Also, the only times I have seen High Beta in a natural sequence is after trump agreement has occurred or been implied. I do believe one 1NT-4 !C sequence came up in one of the past practice sessions. So that might be another situation where 4 !C is High Beta. But none of that appears to be the case after 1 !D-1 !H-3 !D. So I am going with 4 !C as NOT being a High Beta.

After seeing Responder's actual hand, it is obvious that 4 !C was not meant as High Beta; but I can understand many new practitioners as seeing it as ambiguous.

Before parting, I have to admit I do not know what I would have done holding Responder's cards after 1 !D-1 !H-3 !D. I guess rather than bidding 4 !C [the 4 !C bid must be assuming the 93 holding in  !S is too scary for 3NT], I would bid 3NT - even with only 93 in  !S under the assumption Opener has 14-15 HCP so some of those HCP must be in Spades. Of course, there is no certainty there so I could end up with egg on my face. I guess Pass is another possibility. What would others bid sitting in Responder's seat?

John
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:15:12 AM by lute57 »

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Re: Preposterous Contracts!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
You're absolutely right, John. It isn't really ambiguous, for the reasons you outlined above, but it is potentially ambiguous (because the system doesn't actually define what 4 !C is here), which gives rise to the worry that Partner might intend it as Beta (you have, after all, shown a maximum hand with long strong Diamonds), which in turn means they might have misinterpreted your subsequent 4 !D bid.
Oliver