Author Topic: Grasping Essentials  (Read 2510 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Grasping Essentials
« on: July 27, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »
Yesterday, Sanya complimented me for making hands seem to easy. In truth, the hand she was referring to really wasn't a difficult one, but it's one you might make more complicated than it is. At Game all you are South, the dealer.

South
 !S AJ972
 !H KJ82
 !D J2
 !C AJ

The bidding is swift: You open 1 !S , West comes in with a WJO of 3 !C and Partner finishes the bidding with 4 !S .

West leads the 7 !H and Partner puts down

North
 !S 1084
 !H A65
 !D AKQ5
 !C 843

7 !H led by West

South
 !S AJ972
 !H KJ82
 !D J2
 !C AJ

How do you plan the play? The 7 !H looks suspiciously like a singleton or doubleton. You could win the A !H in Dummy and run the 10 !S , intending to take the Heart finesse later on. How does that sound?

Well it's a plan, I suppose. The only real problem with it is that West wins the Spade trick, gives Partner a 1st-round Club ruff (the Clubs are 8-0), gets a Heart ruff, and gives partner a second Club ruff.

There are two things about this hand: Firstly you have oodles of tricks (3 Hearts on the opening lead, 4 Diamonds, A !C and at least 3 Spade tricks). You can afford to lose 2 Spade tricks. What you cannot afford is for both Opps to potentially start ruffing. Playing Ace and a small Spade towards the 10 is pretty much cast iron for 11 tricks here, whatever the Spade distribution (even 5-0 with East).

So no magical plan here, just the realisation that the only thing that can cause me problems is a distribution similar to what we actually had when the Clubs were 8-0 and the opening lead was a singleton. I cannot afford to try for 12 tricks when it potentially means I might make only 9, especially when I am absolutely certain of 11 tricks if I play it safe. West would have to have exactly !S KQx, !H 7, !D x, !C KQ109xxxx to stop 11 tricks and even then I'm still certain of making 10. Worth noting that even an opening Club lead doesn't cause me a problem unless the Diamonds are 6-1. Whether East ruffs the lead or not, I an still certain of my 10 tricks as long as I don't get cute and try for a Spade finesse.
Oliver

Offline Curls77

• Administrator
  • Piggy
    • View Profile
Re: Grasping Essentials
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
Now, this is what I call a lesson on Plan the Play ..
We (or at least many of us in IAC) need them, and eventually will start recognizing similar situations.

Thanks Oliver   !H

And never the less, impression we had was that you needed no thinking at all, smooth playing with no delays - it did look as magic and "easy". : )

Edit: oh boy i only now saw there are many such "lessons" as new threads in here.. wow, TY , tyvm Oliver....... Good that weekend is coming, I might learn something, having time read them :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:52:41 PM by Curls77 »

Offline lute57

• Hog
    • View Profile
Re: Grasping Essentials
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 10:16:01 PM »
Yes, I appreciate these added lessons, too.

I hope others are picking up on the value of these gems.