Author Topic: What's the right defence?  (Read 3540 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
What's the right defence?
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
This is a curious game we play. Sometimes, even looking at all 4 hands, it difficult to be sure what the best line, or the best defence is. Double Dummy play only tells you what actually works if everyone plays optimally. Often, though, we ignore the psychological aspects to the game that sometimes lead Declarer (or the defence) astray if you can capitalise on them:

This was a curious hand, on which Paula and I were defending a contract of 1NT. Even now, I'm not sure what the best line for the defence was. Certainly GIB tells me the contract is 100% cold, and certainly Declarer could have done better:

NS Game, Dealer North

Bidding (NS silent)
West       East
               1 !D
1 !H         1 !S
1NT         All Pass

You are South, and Partner leads the !D 8 against this contract. Dummy goes down and this is what you can see:

!D 8 led
                   East (Dummy)
                   !S AQJ6
                   !H 43
                   !D A1065
                   !C K42
South
!S K987
!H 7
!D J972
!C AQ65

Declarer covers the !D 8 with Dummy's 10; you cover with the Jack and Declarer wins the Queen. Now they lead the !S 4 and finesse the Jack (Partner plays the 3). Do you win or not? GIB tells me winning this trick is better because I keep Declarer to 7 tricks, whereas ducking at this point means Declarer can make an overtrick.

That may be so double-dummy (and might be right from any viewpoint), but psychologically I felt it was better to duck at this stage, and possibly mislead Declarer about what was where. I know Partner has at least 5-card hearts, but if I win and lead my 7, Declarer will probably stand a better chance of getting the Hearts right (if that's possible).

Declarer now led a small Diamond off the table to their King and a 3rd Diamond to Dummy's Ace (North showed out). Now Declarer switched to a Heart off table, and my 7 was covered by Declarer's Jack and Partner's Queen. Paula led a Spade and when Declarer played low in Dummy, I took my King this time and Declarer showed out. I could, therefore, have won with the 7 but it makes no difference in the long run as I have to give Declarer their Spades anyway. I cashed my Diamond winner and exited with a Spade to Dummy's Queen.

Declarer now had 5 tricks and a 4th Spade was available to them, but he couldn't afford to cash it yet as he was still trying to make this contract. I feel sure that if I had attacked Hearts as early as trick 2, Declarer would have gone after the Clubs (which was actually his sure route to 7 tricks as he had !C 109873 and Partner the singleton Jack). As it was Declarer now tried another Heart off the table and played low when I showed out. Paula took 2 Hearts and led her Jack of Clubs and I took the last 3 tricks for -2 and +100, which was worth a princely 5½ IMPs.

I still don't know whether it might have been better to win at trick 1 and switch to a Heart immediately, but I can only lead Hearts once. I tried to suggest to Declarer that the Spade King was onside so they wouldn't look elsewhere (ie: Clubs) for their extra tricks. It would appear on this occasion that I succeeded, but this kind of strategy can sometimes misfire.
Oliver