Author Topic: Finding a Ninth Trick  (Read 1950 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Finding a Ninth Trick
« on: January 02, 2018, 01:25:12 PM »
This was quite an interesting play problem that came up in a hand with Mehmet yesterday. Sometimes you absolutely have to just make assumptions about the hand and go all out on that basis:

North (Dummy)
 !S QJ52
 !H AK10765
 !D 1032
 !C -

!S 4 led

South
 !S AK7
 !H 82
 !D AQ9
 !C AJ972

We bid to 3NT by South (1 !C - 1 !H - 1NT - 2 !D - 3NT). To his credit, Mehmet didn't disturb 3NT, because clearly I wasn't interested in Hearts at any price and couldn't possibly have 4-card Spades (no 2NT from me - if I had 4-card Spades or a holding such as !H Hx, I would have bid 2NT HoC for sure).

West led the Spade 4, on which East played the 9 and  I took in hand. I now led the !H 8 and got the bad news when West showed out discarding a small Club.

What now? You have 8 top tricks (4 !S , 2 !H , 1 !D and 1 !C ) and the only chance for a 9th is to find at least one of the Diamond honours onside. There is absolutely no other realistic chance of getting 9 tricks here. I rose with a top Heart, therefore, and led the !D 10, hoping to encourage a cover by East. East obliged by playing their King (from !D Kxx!!!!), so I just cashed out for my 9 tricks and conceded the remainder.

This isn't a complicated problem. You need to be prepared to take two finesses in Diamonds, though, even if the first one loses and the Clubs are opened up. That's essentially a 75% shot. Hoping for a favourable Club position (eg: !C KQx with West) is nowhere near that probability of success, especially once West is void in Hearts.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:26:47 PM by OliverC »
Oliver