Author Topic: Passive Declarer Play  (Read 1966 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Passive Declarer Play
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:43:27 AM »
Most of you will be familiar with the term "passive defence", when the defence don't try to engineer anything and just make Declarer do all the work. Well two can play at that game, and sometimes Declarer needs to do much the same thing (well, try to, anyway):

Game All, Dealer South

You are South and opened 1 !S, West bid 1NT and Partner bid 2 !S, which ended the auction:

North (Dummy)
!S 1093
!H J532
!D 96
!C A832

!D 4 led

South
!S A8764
!H K1076
!D A8
!C Q10

How do you rate your prospect? Not good was my first reaction, because I want to lead Clubs and Hearts towards my hand, but can't get across to Dummy to achieve that. I'd have been quite happy (at that stage) to come out losing only -100 on this hand LOL. I decided to try to make West do all the work (if he would co-operate).

East played the !D King and I won trick 1 with the Ace and simply led back a Diamond, hoping that West would win the trick (which he did, with the Queen). I was quite glad to see the !D King, to be honest, because it limited what else East could turn up with. West switched to the Club Jack and I ducked in Dummy, making the assumption that West had the King (because I needed West to have it - if East had the !C King, West would pretty much have to have everything else, !H AQ and possibly even !S KQJx and I was irrevocably doomed. If West had !C KJ(xx), there was scope for East to have cards like the !H Queen and possibly even a Spade honour).

So I ducked in Dummy and my !C Queen won the trick Now I tried a small Spade towards Dummy, which was won by East's Jack, and East continued Spades (for which I was profoundly grateful because it meant the Spades were 3-2 :) ). I went up with the Ace and played a 3rd round of the suit. Again I was trying to be totally passive and make EW do all the work here.

East might have played on Diamonds, but I think my return at trick 2 might have convinced him that I had started with 4 Diamonds (which actually was extremely unlikely in view of my failure to try to ruff any of them). I was hoping he might play Partner for the !C 10 and switch to a small Club, but he went one better and switched to a small Heart, which ran to East's Queen and my King.

The rest was plain sailing and I simply conceded a trick to the Ace of Hearts and claimed the rest for an overtrick, more than I had any right to expect from this hand.

Sometimes, especially when one opponent is known to have most of the outstanding points, it really can pay to simply make or to try to persuade them to open suits up. On this occasion West did me proud! LOL
Oliver