Author Topic: makes if I played in !C 1st??!  (Read 5505 times)

Offline zdedo

• Piglet
    • View Profile
makes if I played in !C 1st??!
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:29 AM »
couldn't see this line if I played at trick 6 before continuing in  !D I can make!
what is the expert say on this and the bidding also?
Thanks
http://tinyurl.com/yd4zjl66

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
Re: makes if I played in !C 1st??!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
couldn't see this line if I played at trick 6 before continuing in  !D I can make!
what is the expert say on this and the bidding also?
Thanks
http://tinyurl.com/yd4zjl66

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I can offer a couple of comments.

You ended up in the best contract. It's all too easy to be losing a  !S, a  !H and a  !C in 5 !C. If you get a (most likely) 3-2 break in  !S, you're home in 4 !S, same three losers.

Your problem is not planning through the hand, I think. You have exactly two certain entries to your hand without ruffing your  !D winners. After East shows out, you KNOW that you're going to lose a  !H and two  !S, so you can't afford to lose another  !C.

You cannot make the contract unless West is kind enough to kill his partner's club winner with one of his trumps (try it... lead your  !C at trick 6, but West must discard rather than ruff), so you go down anyway against decent defence, but locking yourself on table as you did is absolutely a 0% line. Well, OK, not 0%, you're OK if you drop a singleton  !C K with the  !C A.  ::)

So yes, try the  !C finesse at trick 6, and hope that West makes a (silly!) mistake by ruffing, but the contract should go down against competent defenders as the cards lie.
Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!