Author Topic: Another One  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Boar
    • View Profile
Another One
« on: July 24, 2018, 03:24:52 AM »
Had this hand today.  Ended up in 6 !D played from the North Hand (lead into the Club K). 

Note:  There was interference bidding by E/W in Hearts & Clubs,  which allowed South to Que Bid Hearts.  The interference allowed us to bid a reasonable slam. 

Curious as to how OCP handles this one with the interference.

Our bidding was
South            North
1 !C  -   P  -     2 !D  -  2 !H      (Positive Response in Diamonds, 5+)
2 !S  -  3 !C  -  3 !D  -  3 !H     (6+ Diamonds)
4 !H  -   P    -   4NT   - P           (4 Hearts Cue, showed control and good Diamond Support  - 4NT is KCB)
5 !H  -   P   -    6 !D                  (3/5 Controls,   North bids 6 diamonds with what appears to be protected K clubs since West on lead)

Thanks.   

Dealer South

North

!S
 !H 10432
 !D AJ98765
 !C K3

South

!S AK10932
 !H A
 !D KQ104
 !C 54

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
Re: Another One
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »
Had this hand today.  Ended up in 6 !D played from the North Hand (lead into the Club K). 

Note:  There was interference bidding by E/W in Hearts & Clubs,  which allowed South to Que Bid Hearts.  The interference allowed us to bid a reasonable slam. 

Curious as to how OCP handles this one with the interference.

Our bidding was
South            North
2 !S  -  3 !C  -  3 !D  -  3 !H     (6+ Diamonds)
4 !H  -   P    -   4NT   - P           (4 Hearts Cue, showed control and good Diamond Support  - 4NT is KCB)
5 !H  -   P   -    6 !D                  (3/5 Controls,   North bids 6 diamonds with what appears to be protected K clubs since West on lead)

Thanks.   

Dealer South

North

!S
 !H 10432
 !D AJ98765
 !C K3

South

!S AK10932
 !H A
 !D KQ104
 !C 54

There's not enough information here, Jimmy, because East will not be able to bid 3 !H.

The bidding using OCP will go

pass  -  3 !C  -  3 !H  -  ??        (pass =  !D gamma, 3 !H!D Hxxxxx)

and now we need to know whether East is going to pass or bid 4 !H, or maybe even be obliging enough to gift us a couple of extra bids by doubling 3 !H (I've seen it happen far too many times to discount the possibility!)  ::)

Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!

Offline Jimmy

• Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
Yup,   I should have included the whole hand,  thought about it.   Here it is and based on the whole hand East would probably pass and West might bid later (?)  Hard to say what opponents would do against OCP,  just know what our opponents did against our strong club system. 

Again,  the opponents bidding the Hearts and Clubs definitely helped us bid the slam (allowed for cue bid showing control and Diamond support).   Not sure if we would have bid a slam without the opponents help.  Thanks. 

Dealer South  No One Vul

North

!S
                                            !H 10432
                                            !D AJ98765
                                            !C K3
 West                                                                                         East                     

!S 875                                                                                         !S  QJ64
 !H KJ9                                                                                         !H  Q8765
 !D 2                                                                                            !D  3
 !C QJ8762                                                                                    !C  A109
                                                South

!S AK10932
                                                !H A
                                                !D KQ104
                                                !C 54
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:53:37 PM by Jimmy »

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
Yup,   I should have included the whole hand,  thought about it.   Here it is and based on the whole hand East would probably pass and West might bid later (?)  Hard to say what opponents would do against OCP,  just know what our opponents did against our strong club system. 

Again,  the opponents bidding the Hearts and Clubs definitely helped us bid the slam (allowed for cue bid showing control and Diamond support).   Not sure if we would have bid a slam without the opponents help.  Thanks. 

Dealer South  No One Vul

North

!S
                                            !H 10432
                                            !D AJ98765
                                            !C K3
 West                                                                                         East                     

!S 875                                                                                         !S  QJ64
 !H KJ9                                                                                         !H  Q8765
 !D 2                                                                                            !D  3
 !C QJ8762                                                                                    !C  A109
                                                South

!S AK10932
                                                !H A
                                                !D KQ104
                                                !C 54

OK, then let's resume with East passing

pass  -  3 !C  -  3 !H  -  pass        (pass =  !D gamma, 3 !H!D Hxxxxx)
3 !S  -  pass  -  4 !C  - pass       (3 !S = relay beta, 4 !C = 3 controls)
4 !H  - pass  - 4 !S   -  pass       (4 !H = Epsilon, cheaper than 5 !C, 4 !S = no  !H control, can't have  !H AK)
6 !D - all pass                           (3 controls must be  !D A and  !C K)

It would get a little more awkward if West bids 4 !H over 3 !S because North will pass to show 3 controls. Now I think South has run out of room because a  !C Epsilon will mean we go past 5 !D with two  !C losers if North has specifically 3rd round control.

I do have to say that I think West's 3 !C is a crap bid, though. Look at how much more difficult it is if West, knowing that opponents have a 1 !C opener and a positive response, just makes the sensible bid of 4 !H after his partner's 2 !H. Maybe West has been burned by East's overcalls before!  ;D  I'd certainly prefer a double (assuming it's takeout of  !D) on East's hand rather than bidding that moth-eaten  !H suit.

Speaking of overcalls, I think I might also be finding a bid directly over South's strong 1 !C with the West hand. You can only combat the opponents you have, but it seems to me that your opponents could benefit from some guidance of how to defend against Precision!
Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!

Offline Jimmy

• Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »

Speaking of overcalls, I think I might also be finding a bid directly over South's strong 1 !C with the West hand. You can only combat the opponents you have, but it seems to me that your opponents could benefit from some guidance of how to defend against Precision!

Yup, no doubt about that.    ::)

Most of our opponents are 2/1 and are unfamiliar with Strong Club Systems.   The better players interfere early and then stop without sacrificing.  (not sure why,  but,  we have built preventative penalty doubles into the system).  In this case,  E/W would have been down 4 at 6 hearts, 

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »

Yup, no doubt about that.    ::)

Most of our opponents are 2/1 and are unfamiliar with Strong Club Systems.   The better players interfere early and then stop without sacrificing.  (not sure why,  but,  we have built preventative penalty doubles into the system).  In this case,  E/W would have been down 4 at 6 hearts,

I'm not going to 6 !H at equal vulnerability, but a pair that doesn't get to 4 !H (or 5 !C) early in the bidding isn't even trying.