General Bridge Discussion > Interesting Play Hands

A great asking bid example hand

(1/3) > >>

RogerPfi:
This is a pre-release of Roger's Finds #27  (as found in aaBridge)

You need to download and play the lin file.

When you do you will see a great example of an Asking bid sequence.  It is written up  for

a)  NON OCP'ers  to get them to visualize the "answerers" hand.

b)  for novice Asking bidders to decide what they would ASK next.

--
Roger

lute57:
I need your assistance, Roger. I tried to open the file but it says I have to download aaBridge player first. I have already loaded your program. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

brian_m:

--- Quote from: lute57 on August 14, 2018, 04:16:50 AM ---I need your assistance, Roger. I tried to open the file but it says I have to download aaBridge player first. I have already loaded your program. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

--- End quote ---

If you tried to open the file by double-clicking on it and you have the old Windows client installed, John, then it may well be that .LIN files are associated with that program (NetBridgeVu.exe) rather than Roger's program. Unfortunately, I can't remember enough Windows (and it's probably different under Windows 10!) to tell you how to change the file associations. Possibly opening Roger's program first and then trying to open the .LIN file from within Roger's program will be an easy workround.

P.S.  A pedant writes - I can give you two hands consistent with your bidding, Roger. Your quiz question is to give me the second one...  ;D  And yes, I think the other hand is just as good an opener as the one I think you had!

lute57:
Thanks Brian, you solved my problem. That is exactly what happened and your work around was spot on. I simply had to use Roger's file/open function and remembered where I stored the downloaded file.

Very nice, Roger. All folks who have been taking Oliver's classes should try it. Not to give anything away, it is one of those hands you could have claimed before the opening lead and told the opponents exactly what was in North's hand EXCEPT here Asker is not the Declarer. So North's bun hole might tighten after South's final bid but once they see South's hand they should be able to claim.

Also, I think I know the second possible hand type consistent with the bidding but I do not want to spoil the fun.

So piglets [gotta get a better name especially for our lady players] have a go. What is the final contract? What is exactly North's hand? And what is a second possible hand holding by North?

John

brian_m:
Well, after a week and no replies, I guess I may as well just post up the answer.

The ambiguity in the hand is based on the 3rd round control shown by the  !D Epsilon. Without a further ask, you don't know whether this is the  !D Q or a doubleton. So, opener's two possible hands are

!S Qxxxxx
 !H x
 !D Qxx
 !C AKx

(which I think is the hand Roger may have intended, note that opener may have one or both black Jacks, you can't tell from the bidding)

and

!S QJxxxx
 !H x
 !D xx
 !C AKJx

which is the other possibility. There are those among us who wouldn't insist on having both black Jacks either, but I put them in there for the benefit of those who pay (undue?) regard to HCPs.

Please note I've done this from memory. I THINK I remember the hands correctly,but if I've duplicated a card, well, it happens!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version