OCP-related Discussions > Correct (?) Answers to Bidding Problems

[Bidding problem] OCP simple system

(1/5) > >>

Marcus7:
I have a question about a 1D sequence, if you open no-Vul 1D as 13-15 nt hand, p responds 1H and you have 4spades (without high honours) do you respond 1S or 1NT? Here is the full hand:
 !S J987
 !H K10
 !D QJ10
 !C AK102
Thanks for answers!

OliverC:
Rebid 1 !S 20 times out of 10:
(1) It's more constructive
(2) The priority in your bidding should be to find "somewhere else" to play. Finding a Major suit fit is the No 1 priority and opting to play in NT's in the absence of a Major fit is a close second.
(3) Depending on how the subsequent bidding goes, partner will realise that you may be 13-15 balanced, even when you've rebid 1 !S. Rebidding 1NT, however, categorically denies having 4-card Spades and nothing you do subsequently would ever convince an OCP Partner that you have a 4th Spade.

lute57:
Welcome to the Forum Marcus.

Excellent discussion question to boot.

Since Oliver is a world-class player and originator of the system, it is hard to disagree with him - especially when he emphatically puts it as "rebid 1 !S 20 times out of 10!"  :)

However, I prefer bidding 1NT. IMO, the problem with the 1 !D Opening is its nebulous nature. In that regard, I think Opener's first duty should be to show partner his true hand type. IMO, bidding 1NT makes it easier for Responder to take appropriate action - bidding 1 !S still leaves the waters muddy.

That said, I am nowhere near the caliber of player as Oliver. Actually, I am your ordinary simple patzer - who frequently goofs on his Declarer play and quite a bit more on his defensive play. However, I do let my partner know that in the 1 !D-1 !H-1NT sequence, my 1NT bid does not deny a 4-card  !S suit.

John

brian_m:
I would quibble with Oliver's answer - I think 20 times out of 10 is an underestimate!  ;)

Seriously, John, I think it's not only your partner you need to tell about this, I think your 1NT rebid becomes alertable (certainly under BBO regulations, at least) if you say that you're playing Precision but are going to bypass a 4-card major.

You're also going to need to add something like Checkback to the system in order to look for a bypassed 4-4  !S fit.

I understand your point about wanting to show the balanced hand, but I really do think you're creating more problems than you're solving.

And what happens if your partner has 4=4=1=4 or 3=4=1=5 shape with insufficient HCP for an initial 2 !C response? Now pard is well and truly stuffed if 2 !C is Checkback - and particularly if your 1NT rebid is 11-12, your probably decent score on 4=4=1=4 is likely to change to a significant minus.

OliverC:
1 !D - 1 !H - 1NT with 4-card Spades...
...C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le Precision! :)

I always say that partnership agreement is king, and it's true. OCP is a system you can tweak to your heart's content, but there are some fundamental things about Precision, and particularly about OCP, that you change at your peril.

The simple 1 !D responses are geared to make it really hard to miss a 4-4 (or even a viable 4-3) Major fit when we're not strong enough to play beyond the 2-level (which is quite a lot of the time, let's face it).

One of the major criticisms of the Complex 1 !D is that it can make it much harder to find a 4-4 Major fit at a low level. Jason and I accepted that (albeit with some reluctance) because of it's perceived advantages in some other areas, but in reality there isn't much to choose between the Simple 1 !D and the Complex 1 !D .

Rebidding 1 !S on that hand does not preclude playing the hand in 1NT, but rebidding 1NT does make it almost impossible to find a 4-4 or 4-3 Spade contract when partner is fundamentally weak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version