Teaching Sessions & Practices on BBO > Bidding Challenges

Positive responder with 55+

(1/2) > >>

DickHy:
Perhaps someone would help with this, please.

I held AKxxx Kxx - AKQxx and partner had xx AQxxx KQJxxx -

The bidding (not necessarily correct!) went 1C - 2D - 2S (alpha) - 2N - 3C (iota) - 3D - 3N sign-off

My partner wondered if 1H would have been a better positive response to 1C, but the diamond suit seemed too strong to ignore.  But whichever suit was first bid by responder, the second suit seemingly might be lost.  We started discussing a special scheme for a positive responder who is 55(+), then realised we had soon gone beyond our grasp.

Admittedly this is an unusual hand.  Is there a scheme in OCP after 1C to handle a 55/65 positive responder?

best wishes

Dick     

Jimmy:

--- Quote from: DickHy on June 28, 2019, 07:45:24 PM ---Perhaps someone would help with this, please.

I held AKxxx Kxx - AKQxx and partner had xx AQxxx KQJxxx -

The bidding (not necessarily correct!) went 1C - 2D - 2S (alpha) - 2N - 3C (iota) - 3D - 3N sign-off

My partner wondered if 1H would have been a better positive response to 1C, but the diamond suit seemed too strong to ignore.  But whichever suit was first bid by responder, the second suit seemingly might be lost.  We started discussing a special scheme for a positive responder who is 55(+), then realised we had soon gone beyond our grasp.

Admittedly this is an unusual hand.  Is there a scheme in OCP after 1C to handle a 55/65 positive responder?

best wishes

Dick     

--- End quote ---

Hi Dick,  I am a novice OCP player,  but do play a modified precision system using some of the OCP sequences.  It is my general understanding that it is best to bid the 5 card major over the 6 card minor (with a few exceptions). 

But,  on the other side of the coin is this,  what if Opener had this hand:

!S  AKxxx
 !H 
 !D  Axx
 !C AKQxx

Opener has one HCP more.   ;D

I am sure experienced OCP er's will comment.  JMO

Jim

lute57:
Hi Dick,

Good to see you playing OCP and discussing tweaks with partner.

IMO, you perfectly bid the sequence according to OCP doctrine. In regards to partner showing  !D first, I think everyone would do the same. With 8+ HCP and 5-card  !H & 6-card  !D, the only time I would show the 5-card Major first is when the Minor is significantly weaker. I believe that is Oliver's doctrine, too.

Anyway, Brian created a nice gadget for showing two-suited Responder hands with 8+ HCP. 1 !C-2 !H [alert] showing 8+HCP and promising two-suits. Of course, to incorporate this in your system, you need to modify your 4441 8-11 HCP Responder responses. I believe Brian suggested making 1 !C-2 !S showing 4441 8-11 HCP and showing a singleton in one of the Major-suits. Similar to 1 !C-2NT [generic singleton in the Minors]. You would also have to adjust your subsequent Eta responses to allow the additional first step "oops! you Eta Asked in my singleton suit."

Brian can elaborate better (and correct me as needed). I think Oliver has no problem with OCP partnerships playing in this matter; but I seriously doubt if it will ever become part of OCP standard. Although it is a tweak I use, and I believe Brian continues to endorse it, adding it as standard OCP just adds another level of complexity to a standard system that is already quite complex [and we are talking the Simple System  :D].

John

lute57:
Dick,

Jimmy plays a hybrid system that he developed, I thought he had a similar idea to Brian's, too. Maybe he can elaborate.

John

Jimmy:

--- Quote from: lute57 on June 28, 2019, 10:46:11 PM ---Dick,

Jimmy plays a hybrid system that he developed, I thought he had a similar idea to Brian's, too. Maybe he can elaborate.

John

--- End quote ---

Hi John,  Yes we play a hybrid system which is somewhat natural and allows either opener or responder to begin inquires/cues once trump is established.   In this sequence we would show the  !H suit first for two reasons,  first (and primarily),  it takes up less bidding space (while forcing to game) and allows opener to better define their hand at a low level,  second,  it shows the 8+ points with 5+  !H's, the longer  !D's can be shown with repeats or a jump. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version