Author Topic: Vul NT vs nv NT opener script  (Read 2644 times)

Offline abby cj

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Vul NT vs nv NT opener script
« on: June 20, 2021, 05:04:43 PM »
I am trying to set the vulnerability script for the dealer when at a practice table in BBO.  So far I have been able to 1) set the dealer 2) set the NT range..but I am unable to add in the vulnerability.  I am not a computer person at all...any advice/suggestion as to how to accomplish this is appreciated.

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
Re: Vul NT vs nv NT opener script
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 05:54:10 PM »
I am trying to set the vulnerability script for the dealer when at a practice table in BBO.  So far I have been able to 1) set the dealer 2) set the NT range..but I am unable to add in the vulnerability.  I am not a computer person at all...any advice/suggestion as to how to accomplish this is appreciated.

I don't know how fully BBO have implemented Hans van Staveren's dealer program in their dealer scripts, so I can't guarantee this will work - but if you want to set the vulnerability in the stand-alone dealer program, the command to put in the script file is

vulnerable ??

Where ?? is one of

none
all
NS
EW

If you can't get this to work, let me know and I'll have a play with it, but it may take me a few days to find the time to do so.

Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!

Offline abby cj

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:57:25 AM »
yes..I tried that but it doesn't work..The best I can get is every other deal being vulnerable.

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 07:42:11 AM »
yes..I tried that but it doesn't work..The best I can get is every other deal being vulnerable.

As above, it's possible they don't let the 'vulnerable' command override the usual rotation of vulnerabilities. The easy answer is to skip the deals you don't want, of course. If you want to pursue this I'd suggest writing to BBO support in the first case and asking then whether the "vulnerable" command has been implemented. They could hopefully ask one of their programmers. It's impossible to know for certain without seeing BBO's source code.
Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!

Offline abby cj

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 11:46:10 PM »
ok...tx :)

Offline abby cj

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 02:33:04 AM »
1NT vul/nv Opener
I was wanting to set a teaching table so that the script for NT opener was either 10-12 OR 13-15 based on vulnerability, but was unable to do so.  At best I could get every other hand to be vul and wasn’t able to adjust script accordingly.  This meant that I had to discard every other hand.
Here is what I did find out regarding this:  There is a known bug in the system when trying to set up a practice bidding/teaching table and setting the vulnerability.  This has been identified and commented on by others trying to do similar vul /nv settings.
But I did find an acceptable work around for me. 
I wanted to be NS players.  When first sitting at new teaching table the NS hands are NV.  If this is desired, then, under Deal Source/Advanced, enter the desired script under the ‘Use This Input for the Dealer Program” and click on the box. (I used script specific to only N hand being 1NT opener with nvul range).  Under Dealer do not have any position designated as Dealer (u will have to go in here and unclick all 4 positions). Click on the X in upper right corner to close the box. I now find that all subsequent redeals had N as Dealer, NS nvul and my desired hand type and hcp range for 1NT opener worked every time.
When wanting NS to be VUL, if just setting up table, redeal until have NS vul.  Then under Deal Source/Advanced, enter the desired script (again I used script specific to N hand only but this time with vul opening range) under the ‘Use This Input for the Dealer Program” and make sure the Use this Input box is checked.  Again under Dealer do not have any position designated as Dealer.  Close the box.  Again I found that all subsequent redeals had N as Dealer, NS Vul and my desired hand type and hcp range for 1NT opener worked every time.
Now I am able to practice bidding and responding to 1NT openers based on consistent vulnerability status without having to discard every other hand.

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 08:08:41 AM »
A bug rather than deliberate non-implementation, then. Well done for the detective work.