Author Topic: The Value of Restraint  (Read 1852 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
The Value of Restraint
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:13:18 PM »
Eszter showed considerable restraint on this hand (and played it extremely well too).

NS Vulnerable, Dealer North
You are North and hold

North
 !S A
 !H A10874
 !D KQ983
 !C K5

Eszter decided to open this hand with 1 !H rather than 1 !C . I'm not sure I would have taken the same view, but it worked out very well.

Bidding
North       East      South      West
1 !H          1NT       No           No
2 !D          No         2 !H         All Pass

The restraint on Eszter's part came over the 1NT bid. Some people might have felt they had to "catch up" after opening the hand with 1 !H rather than 1 !C , but 2 !D and then a pass over 2 !H worked out fine.

West led the Ace of Diamonds

South (Dummy)
 !S J76543
 !H J53
 !D -
 !C Q1072

North
 !S A
 !H A10874
 !D KQ983
 !C K5

Eszter ruffed the opening lead. How do you plan the play?

Eszter did very well, realising that East might well have !H KQxx, so some care was required to retain trump control. At trick 2 she led a small Club to her King, losing to East's Ace. East now led the King of Spades, taken by Eszter's singleton Ace. The KQ of Diamonds followed, Dummy shedding small Spades and East playing the Jack on the 3rd round. Now the 9 !D gave East few winning options. In practice they chose to ruff with the !H Q and a small Club was discarded from Dummy. East now led the !S Queen, ruffed in hand.

At this point East had already shown up with the !S KQ, the !H Q, the two Minor suit Aces and the !D Jack, which is 16 hcp. I don't know if Eszter was counting, but that made it likely that West had the !H King (certainly I'd have taken the !H finesse given the chance). Eszter was in hand, however, so she led the 8 !D , her last, ruffed by East with the 6 and overruffed with the Jack. Now a Heart off the table caught West's singleton King and the 10 disposed of East's remaining trump, the 9.

11 tricks was only worth 1½ IMPs, because of 2 NS Pairs who were playing in 4 !H X, 3 !H XX and 4 !H XX all making for huge scores. Several others were in Game, all going 1 or 2 off, and nobody else in the whole field  made 11 tricks playing in Hearts.

Well done Eszter!
Oliver