Author Topic: Split Honors  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Boar
    • View Profile
Split Honors
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »
 North Deals, N-S Vul

North (Dummy)
                     !S K876
                     !H K103
                     !D Q93
                     !C 942

South
                     !S Q103
                     !H AJ97
                     !D K765
                     !C Q6

North deals and the bidding proceeds:

P          P      1 !D     P                       Note:  1 !D is old style precision, not OCP
1 !S      P       1NT    P
P          P

The opening lead from West is the 2 !H's , Now what?

East and West are very good players (sometimes easier to trick/fool).  I asked for the 10H in dummy which holds the trick. I  thought about the hand and realized that if I played the hand in normal fashion I was sure to be set.  So,  I asked for the 2 !C from dummy and inserted the Q !C faking a finesse.   A high risk play,  but hoping that the club honors were split (which they were).  West won the K !C's, thought for a long time and then lead back the 2 !D's  (what would you do?).  I played low from dummy and East inserted the J !D's.  I won with the K.  I now returned a low  !D towards the Q9, intending to insert the 9 if West plays low.  East wins the Ace of  !D's and low and behold does not lead a  !C, thinking it would set up my clubs.  Contract makes.    8)  Lucky me!

The full hand:  North Deals, N-S Vul

North (Dummy)
                     !S K876
                     !H K103
                     !D Q93
                     !C 942
West                                   East
!S AJ5                                 !S 942
!H Q842                               !H 65
!D 1082                               !D AJ4
!C KJ3                                 !C A10875
                     South
                     !S Q103
                     !H AJ97
                     !D K765
                     !C Q6

Post Comment:   I have tried this type of play frequently when the situation occurs. I have found that it does not work well with inexperienced players, but does work well with good players.   ::)

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
Re: Split Honors
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

I'm not saying you didn't do well in the play, but I really dislike your bidding. Even if it's not OCP, with partner a passed hand I pass 1 !S without even thinking about it. 1NT is just asking for trouble, IMO.

Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!

Offline Jimmy

• Boar
    • View Profile
Re: Split Honors
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
Your definitely correct on that point.   ::)

But,  some day when you get in this bind and you think the honors might be split,  give it a try.    ;)