Author Topic: Assumption is the Mother of all...  (Read 4855 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Assumption is the Mother of all...
« on: May 18, 2019, 10:27:07 PM »
Metin (Arda85) and I had an interesting session this morning with Metin trying his hand at the Complex Sys (with a good degree of success). One hand well pointed up the inadvisability of  interfering against multi-style openings until your Opps have clarified their hand somewhat.

At game all I opened 2NT on the following motley collection:

!S AJ1042
 !H J10843
 !D Q
 !C KQ

My LHO clearly assumed I had the Minors or Clubs and overcalled 2 !H . Metin doubled and I was perfectly happy to pass that for penalties. Metin was in the very happy position of knowing that I must have the Majors, because he was sat with

!S K3
 !H 9
 !D AK106
 !C AJ10972

Poor Declarer was sat with !H AKQ52 and the Spade Queen and Dummy just had !D Jxxx. When the dust settled we let Declarer off with -4 for 1100 (could have got one more with perfect defence). One pair found and made the vastly inferior Spade slam but nobody found the much better Club slam and +1100 was pretty good.

This kind of situation is similar to Brozel/DONT Doubles over 1NT and defending against a Multi. You really are generally better off letting Opps define their hand-type before you jump in with both feet. Sometimes if you're 4th-in hand, you don't have that option, but when you're 2nd-in-hand over the Multi-style opening, you usually can count on a 2nd chance.

We had one nice bidding hand for the system, which was rewarded with a top. Metin responded flawlessly on this:

NS Vulnerable, Dealer West

North
 !S J8
 !H AK104
 !D AK
 !C 108643

South
 !S AK1074
 !H 63
 !D AK
 !C AKQ5

Bidding (nothing from Opps)
North          South
1 !D              1NT(1)
2 !C (2)          2 !D (3)
3 !H (4)          4 !C (5)
4 !D (6)          4 !S (7)
5 !C ( 8 )        7 !C (9)

(1) 14+ any shape
(2) 5+ Clubs
(3) Range Beta
(4) Max, 6 Controls
(5) Gamma in Clubs
(6) No Top Honour
(7) Epsilon in Spades (To guard against !S xxx)
( 8 ) 3rd round control of Spades
(9) Knew North couldn't have the !S Queen with AKAK in the Reds, so wasn't remotely tempted to try for 7NT.

The Clubs were 3-1 but the Spades were 3-3 so no problems. Amazingly, nobody else found 7 !C and the Grand was worth 15 IMPs. Overall, Metin showed a very good grasp of the system, so please give him a game if you get the chance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:28:44 PM by OliverC »
Oliver