Author Topic: Importance of Hand Evaluation  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Boar
    • View Profile
Importance of Hand Evaluation
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
Had this hand in a tournament yesterday.  You are East,  the dealer and no one is  Vul.  Do you Pass,  Open 1  !H, 2 !H or 1 !C?  And Why? 

East
 !S
 !H Q109532
 !D AQ10953
 !C 3

Once you decide on what you would do, scroll down for the complete hand. 

Now,  here is the complete deal. 

North
                                      !S AQJ1063
                                      !H J874
                                      !D 8
                                      !C 105

West                                                        East
 !S 875                                                       !S
 !H AK6                                                      !H Q109532
 !D KJ2                                                       !D AQ10953
 !C K762                                                     !C 3

South
                                       !S K942
                                       !H
                                       !D 764
                                       !C AQJ984

I chose to pass because the hand seemed to strong to open 2 !H, seemed to weak to open 1 !H (9HCP & fragmented suits), and to my regret did not even consider opening 1 !C (playing strength).  We ended up in 5 !H making 6.  The hand is difficult to bid after a pass or 2 !H opening.  Rather easy to bid with a 1 !H or 1 !C opening.  Of the 26 teams that played the hand 9 teams ended up in 6 !H.  Appreciate other comments from this seasoned crew.... ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:30:48 PM by Jimmy »

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Re: Importance of Hand Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »
Personally, I think I open this hand 1 !H. 0661 hands have an inherent playing strength, and the hand is far far too good to open with 2 !H and also doesn't really have remotely enough defensive strength to consider a 1 !C Opening (for my money, anyway).

Playing OCP, a 1 !H opening would probably lead to a sequence similar to

1 !H                       -      1NT
3 !D(Max, 5-5+)     -     3 !S(Gamma in !H)
4 !H(Hxxxxx in !H)  -    4 !S(Relay Beta)
4NT(0-2 Controls!)  -    5 !H(To Play)
5 !S(Void !S)           -   6 !H(Really really to play!)
All Pass

Even if the bidding starts 1 !H - 1NT - 2 !D - 4 !H, I'd think East would be bidding 4 !S over that, or maybe just punting 6 !D as "choose a Slam".

For the 2 !H bidders:

2 !H                            - 2 !S(Enquiry)
4 !D(Max, second suit) - 4 !H(To Play)
4 !S(void)                   - 5 !H(to Play)
Pass

Realistically, it's impossible for either player to appreciate they're playing with a 20-point deck. East can never really show the 5th or 6th Diamond unless they just punt 6 !D over 4 !H.

Interesting hand!
Oliver

Offline brian_m

• Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:04:41 PM »
                                     North
                                      !S AQJ1063
                                      !H J874
                                      !D 8
                                      !C 105

West                                                        East
 !S 875                                                       !S
 !H AK6                                                      !H Q109532
 !D KJ2                                                       !D AQ10953
 !C K762                                                     !C 3

South
                                       !S K942
                                       !H
                                       !D 764
                                       !C AQJ984

I chose to pass because the hand seemed to strong to open 2 !H, seemed to weak to open 1 !H (9HCP & fragmented suits), and to my regret did not even consider opening 1 !C (playing strength).  We ended up in 5 !H making 6.  The hand is difficult to bid after a pass or 2 !H opening.  Rather easy to bid with a 1 !H or 1 !C opening.  Of the 26 teams that played the hand 9 teams ended up in 6 !H.  Appreciate other comments from this seasoned crew.... ;)

As a matter of principle, I've always refused to believe that there's a gap between a 1 !H and a 2 !H opener. Given that, my choice is easy. 1 !H it is, and then bid  !D until the cows come home (or partner gives preference back to  !H). I expect competition in  !S so I want to get started on my suits, 1 !C isn't an option IMO.
Please note that the responses I give are based on my current understanding of the system, and I've checked the website if in any doubt. I didn't attend Oliver's classes until 2021-22, so if Oliver has said anything different in his lessons in earlier years, I don't know about it!

Offline Jimmy

• Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 12:51:12 AM »
As a matter of principle, I've always refused to believe that there's a gap between a 1 !H and a 2 !H opener. Given that, my choice is easy. 1 !H it is,

GREAT gap adjustment,  like it.   :)

Offline Jimmy

• Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:11:23 AM »
Personally, I think I open this hand 1 !H. 0661 hands have an inherent playing strength, and the hand is far far too good to open with 2 !H and also doesn't really have remotely enough defensive strength to consider a 1 !C Opening (for my money, anyway).

Playing OCP, a 1 !H opening would probably lead to a sequence similar to

1 !H                       -      1NT
3 !D(Max, 5-5+)     -     3 !S(Gamma in !H)
4 !H(Hxxxxx in !H)  -    4 !S(Relay Beta)
4NT(0-2 Controls!)  -    5 !H(To Play)
5 !S(Void !S)           -   6 !H(Really really to play!)
All Pass

Even if the bidding starts 1 !H - 1NT - 2 !D - 4 !H, I'd think East would be bidding 4 !S over that, or maybe just punting 6 !D as "choose a Slam".

For the 2 !H bidders:

2 !H                            - 2 !S(Enquiry)
4 !D(Max, second suit) - 4 !H(To Play)
4 !S(void)                   - 5 !H(to Play)
Pass

Realistically, it's impossible for either player to appreciate they're playing with a 20-point deck. East can never really show the 5th or 6th Diamond unless they just punt 6 !D over 4 !H.

Interesting hand!

Yes,  very interesting.  Three of the 26 N/S teams bid to 5 !S Doubled making 5 and not sure how many others may have pushed the nine E/W's into the 6 !H contract.  Our Opp only interfered to the 4 level.  If I would have opened 1 !H, I think we would have also gotten to the slam, but very difficult for my partner to participate once I passed first seat (and would have been difficult if I bid 2 !H).  It was a very good lesson on hand evaluation (for me).   Way to much St Am and Goren years ago.   :'( 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:30:56 AM by Jimmy »

Offline kiwi_2o1

• Piggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 02:50:32 AM »
Open 1H and allow opponents to push you to 5L, perhaps slam level if partner doesn't bid. I'm fearful of the master suit so don't want to announce too much shape and weakness early on least it aids the opponents more than partner. I'd also consider 4H or whatever a heart pre-empt is in OCP.  Game may be on for both NS and EW and will assume unless I hear otherwise that the balance of points are evenly spread between the other three hands. The developing auction might show otherwise.

1C is out for me as partner may later consider a penalty double expecting a trick or two from my hand. 2H wouldn't satisfy me in a tournament as I may then consider bidding and rebidding D's to stay in the auction. Announcing a weak 2-suiter hand with that extreme pattern probably isn't going to help our cause much and I'd rather conceal my D holding. Yes, unscientific I suppose but I can come to life if partner explores, and give no revealing distributional information to opponents should they quickly dominate the auction.

Pass for me is also very unattractive as it's likely to give them an easy ride. If partner takes stronger auction over 1H, my hand has playing shape, except for the potential miss-fit.

I've got a feeling most other pairs will make some sort of opening bid so here I'll go with the field and the bid that gives me most hope in defense or offense. On balance I think it's best to have first say here and see where the auction takes us. One thing for sure there is going to more action at the table so I'm not yet going to think too much ahead than that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:01:41 AM by kiwi_2o1 »