Author Topic: Thinking Outside the Box...  (Read 1918 times)

Offline OliverC

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Hog
    • View Profile
    • Pigpen
Thinking Outside the Box...
« on: September 14, 2017, 01:46:43 PM »
Something occurred to me on this hand, but I decided against it. After the hand was over I realised that I'd actually missed the best line for 10 tricks:

Game All, Dealer West

North
 !S 974
 !H 853
 !D J
 !C AJ7542

South
 !S KJ6532
 !H -
 !D AK106
 !C 983

Bidding
West     North     East     South
1 !D       No          1 !H      1 !S
2 !H       2 !S        3 !H      4 !S
No         No           X         All Pass

Since it was very unlikely that Eszter had that much in the way of points, I placed her with not much in Diamonds (2 at most) and length in Clubs. I had hoped for a 4th Spade and perhaps a tiny bit more in !C ( !C KQJxx was the image I had in my mind), but when Dummy went down I was disappointed because the Spades were likely to be at least 3-1, albeit onside so 4 !SX was going to be tough, but more importantly, I'd gone too needlessly high, because I could see that 4 !H was almost inevitably off. That means I have to try to make this improbably contract

West led the !H King, which I ruffed in hand. What now?

It did occur to me to try a small Diamond to the Jack at trick 2, in the hope that West would duck, placing Partner with the AK of Diamonds. If that worked, I could now lead a Spade and finesse the Jack if East didn't play the Ace, ruff my 10 !D , and lead Spades again. Against that, I was giving up a Diamond trick if West just went up with the Queen anyway. I didn't think long, because a long trance would probably give the game away, and in the end went the other route, which was to Cash the !D Ace, ruff a !D , ruff a Heart (to shorten my trumps in case the !S were 4-0), ruff a second Diamond, and now lead a trump. The second !D ruff was fatal, as it happens, because now when I lead a Spade East can rise with the Ace and lead another Heart to force me.

Worrying about whether to underlead my AK of Diamonds distracted me sufficiently, that actually I didn't see the best line for 10 tricks, which places East with !S AQx, a singleton or small doubleton Club and 3 Diamonds, and West with !C KQx and exactly 1 Spade. What I should have done was the same as I actually did up to and including the second Heart ruff in my hand. Now the position would be as follows:

North
 !S 97
 !H 8
 !D -
 !C AJ7542

South
 !S KJ65
 !H -
 !D K10
 !C 983

I've taken 4 tricks and Opps none. Now I should cash the !D Ace, discarding Dummy's last Heart and then lead a Club. If West plays low I insert the Jack and hope my estimation of the layout is correct. If, as seems more likely, West splits their Club honours, I need to duck, and now West is stymied. If they play another Club East will ruff, but now I'm in control: A red suit lead puts me back in Dummy with a ruff to lead a Spade through East's AQ and East has no answer.

I should have thought of this line, because it's entirely consistent with the bidding (West having both Club honours). Ho hum.... (Another one for Roger's list). Still, enough people were being allowed to make 4 !H that 4 !SX -1 was still a small plus score, but 4 !SX making would have been worth a whopping 14 IMPs.

The moral of this tale is that thinking outside the box is all very well, but sometimes there are much more straightforward solutions that one ought to be aiming at...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:48:33 PM by OliverC »
Oliver